What Causes Neck Pain?
Neck pain is among the most common complaints. It is especially common among people over 50. Neck pain can occur anywhere in your neck - from the top of the shoulders to the bottom of the head. It can also radiate to your arms and upper back. There are different causes of neck pain, including the following:
- Poor sleeping position
- Car accident (back sprain or strain)
- Muscle spasm (makes it hard and painful to turn the head)
- Disk degeneration (narrowing of the spinal canal)
Treating Neck Pain
If the pain is mild, there is no need to go to the doctor. In such cases, self-care for a couple of weeks is the most effective treatment method. However, if the pain is severe or is lasting for a long time, then it is better to consult a healthcare specialist. Usually, doctors suggest the following treatment options for patients suffering from neck pain:
- Medications. Often, doctors prescribe muscle relaxants and tricyclic antidepressants to reduce the pain.
- Physical therapy. A physical therapist will use neck-strengthening and alignment exercises, electrical stimulation, ice, heat, and other treatment options to ease your pain and prevent it from occurring again.
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS). It is a procedure, during which electrodes are placed on the skin near the affected area and deliver electrical impulses that also help to reduce pain.
- Traction. This procedure is performed under the supervision of a healthcare professional or a physical therapist. In this procedure pulleys, weights, or an air bladder are used to gently stretch the neck muscles.
- Short-term immobilization. In some cases, there is a necessity to wear a special collar that will support the neck and take the pressure off the shoulders. However, if you are prescribed with a collar, it is important to know that you should not wear it more than a couple of hours a day.
How Chiropractic Care Can Help?
Another type of treatment that is often used for treating patients with neck pain is chiropractic care. It is a popular completely non-invasive approach that has already demonstrated positive results. Many patients choose chiropractic care because it is much gentler than more traditional techniques. A chiropractor performs special muscle releases and adjustment to reduce the tension in the neck and release the pain.
Grisafi Chiropractic Center in Plymouth Meeting, Norristown, and Blue Bell PA - Your Guide To A Healthy Life
Dr. Benjamin Grisafi, a professional chiropractor with years of experience, and his team at Grisafi Chiropractic Center are ready to provide you with effective chiropractic solutions that will reduce your neck pain and help you feel relieved. Regardless of the cause of your neck pain, the specialists of our center will be able to give you a full evaluation and offer chiropractic solutions. Therefore, if you are a resident of Plymouth Meeting, Norristown, Blue Bell, PA, or any other surrounding town, do not hesitate to contact our center and schedule an appointment with Dr. Benjamin Grisafi or any other chiropractic professional.